East Rutherford, NJ – IN New York Giants She underwent a brawl-filled practice during Friday night’s Fan Fest at MetLife Stadium. The lower bowl of the field has been fairly busy for the team’s second fan festival several years ago.
“I got a lot of good work there,” said coach Brian Dabol. “Lots of good stuff, try to put players in a lot of different situations… We tried to make it as game-like as possible.
“I thought both sides competed well.”
Injury notes: Rookie goalkeeper Marcus McKitthan injured
- Rookie goalkeeper Marcus McKitthan was taken off the field during the melee with an apparent injury to the right leg. McKethan was drafted in round 5. Daboll had no information on how badly McKethan was injured. Several of his carriages stopped before turning away to send good wishes to McKitthan.
- Cornerback Adoree’ Jackson left the field near the end of a campaign of nearly 20 plays. Daboll said Jackson “just tightened up a bit” with a muscle spasm.
- Wide receiver David Sales worked on the side on Friday, along with newly acquired defensive back Nate Meadows.
Robert Foster, TE Ricky Sales-Jones and CB Rodarius Williams never trained again. Sixth straight exercise for Seals-Jones.
– Dan Duggan (@DDuggan21) August 5, 2022
Launched for Fan Fest
Giants safety Xavier McKinney was asked on Friday afternoon if he was looking forward to coaching Fan Fest.
“Obviously it will be the first time for all of us as a group, out there on the field. It’s going to be fun. I know the energy is going to rise, we’re excited, and ready to get that little first glimpse of how we’re going to play and see what we’re going to do,” McKinney said. “So, it’s going to be fun, and we’re looking forward to it.”
After the event, here’s what Daboll had to say about the weather:
“It was nice to get the fans out there. Great support. It was a little different energy, a little bit more tired… I thought that was exactly what we needed in terms of training cadence, and the amount of plays we got.”
Quote from today
Saquon Barkley talks about whether he feels the urgency to help Daniel Jones after he’s been so badly hurt over the past two years
These are quite unofficial, but here are the stats I have for Friday night’s quarterback game. A few of these plays may have been disallowed on penalties, but I guarantee every throw I’ve drawn.
- Daniel Jones: 15 of 26
- Tyrod Taylor: 8 out of 13
- Davis Webb: 7 out of 15
Jones had an uneven first session, going 5 of 12 and throwing two balls that could have been intercepted. Adoree’ Jackson threw a pass from Kadarius Toney, and Tae Crowder threw in an interception for Sacon Barkley’s custom throw.
Daboll said that overall he felt the decision-making by all three midfielders was “very good”.
Regarding Jones in particular, Daboll said, “I thought it was working fine.”
Air conditioning is required
The Giants teams were first on the field for a pair of leads totaling 34 plays. Daboll said those long trips were intentionally organized.
“A little hot. slightly damp. Dabel said. “I thought it was a competitive exercise. I thought the guys were a little more optimistic. It’s normal – the fans are here, the music is going on. There’s definitely a lot to improve I think. We’re moving in the right direction, but we’re far from you.”
“We have to improve our conditioning. That’s why we did these two long drives – everyone can feel their place individually, but collectively that will be a focus this week.”
As previously mentioned, Jackson left before one of those trips ended with what Daboll said was a convulsion.
The Giants carried out a period of direct intervention with the third team attack and defense on the field. Daboll said that was to help these players prepare for Thursday’s opening match vs. New England Patriotswhere they are likely to play the bulk of the shots.
“They will probably play a lot in pre-season,” Daboll said. “I don’t want this to be the first time they’ve had direct contact.”
offensive line ideas
Daboll said he thought the offensive line was “jelling…they’re converging.”
“You get the most honest test of assessing the offensive line in the direct reps where you can bring down a quarterback, and you can run back down,” Daboll said. “But I think the players are communicating really well, they are working together, and they still have a long way to go, but I think they are moving in the right direction.”
Kayvon Thibodeaux effect
The #5 pick overall hasn’t made a lot of cheerful plays yet in training camp, but it’s all too easy to see that it’s hard for the frontline guys to handle. How is that? Thibodeaux has tied several penalties so far in training camp. Friday night, he drew one of the rookie right tackle Evan Neal.
“It’s hard to stop,” Daboll said. “He’s done a good job in these last few practices. He has a variety of sprinting moves. Again, he’s a rookie…a good young player, who has a lot of work on him. I hope he draws more of them.”
The Giants added offensive tackle Will Holden on Friday and ceded full back Nico Lalos. They also waived defensive back Yaren Williams from the injured reserve. Holden, who only had a few hours to absorb the rules of the game, was taking the third-team delegates into a correct tackle Friday night.
- Placekicker Graham Gano made a 30-yard field goal.
- Salameh free agent Joseph Corker intercepted Davis Webb’s pass, took a deflection by UDFA cornerback Darren Evans in the end zone and returned it for nearly 60 yards.
- Doss dropped a pass from Webb that would have been a touchdown. Doss also got a deep ball by Webb.
- Wan’Dale Robinson got a third pass down Jones over middle and turned it into a gain of about 32 yards.
- And Andre Miller managed by an unpolished free agent, colliding with the fullback, a touch pass from Jones in the fourth and one.
- Colin Johnson earned nearly 45 yards on a deep ball from Tyrod Taylor that was canceled from the penalty spot.
- Leonard Williams was a force during first-team work, spending a lot of time on the field.
- The Giants’ sudden troubles continued as Garrett McGinn fired a wide shot from Webb at one point. Backup status remains a question mark.